For the best possible gaming experience, you need an SSD that always outperforms the competition, even under pressure.
One of the most surprising and useful features on Galaxy smartphones and tablets is Samsung DeX, which lets you extend your mobile device to a larger screen, creating a desktop-like experience. Once your device is connected to a display, you can work across multiple apps simultaneously and resize windows, much like you would on a PC.
Originally, DeX required an HDMI adapter to connect your Galaxy phone or tablet with your monitor. But on the latest Samsung mobile devices, such as the new Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra 5G, you can connect to DeX wirelessly on any display that supports Miracast, enabling an even more seamless work experience. This works nicely on Samsung Smart TVs.
Samsung also recently introduced a new Smart Monitor, which supports wireless DeX. With the aid of a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, you can now create a streamlined DeX setup to power through your workday without ever booting up a PC or connecting a cable.
Of course, if you don’t have a Smart Monitor or Miracast-enabled display, you can still use DeX. Just use an HDMI to USB-C adapter, or connect directly to a USB-C monitor.
But if you do want to take advantage of wireless DeX, here’s how to set it up on your Smart Monitor:
Setting up Samsung DeX on your Samsung Smart Monitor
- Begin by plugging in your Smart Monitor and turning it on.
- Using the provided remote or the physical buttons on the monitor, select the Source option and choose Screen Mirroring.
- On your Galaxy smartphone, open the quick menu by dragging down from the top of the screen, then tap the DeX option.
- In the DeX menu, select DeX on TV or Monitor.
- Your Galaxy smartphone will search for available displays to connect with. When you see your Smart Monitor appear, tap on it.
- That’s it! You’ll now see the DeX logo appear on your Smart Monitor, and you can get right to work.
With DeX enabled, you can use your smartphone as a touchpad. But for a true desktop-like experience, you’ll likely want to add a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Any conventional Bluetooth keyboard and mouse designed to work with a PC will also work with Samsung DeX.
Go mobile-only with Samsung DeX
Your comprehensive guide to rolling out a mobile-only solution for your workers. Download Now
Adding a keyboard and mouse
- Put your keyboard and mouse in pairing mode, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Open the Settings app on your smartphone and navigate to the Bluetooth menu.
- Select the keyboard and mouse from your Bluetooth menu.
- You may be asked to type in a verification code on your keyboard to complete pairing.
Once these are paired, you can use your DeX-enabled phone to work in your favorite productivity apps, including Microsoft Office, Citrix Workspace, MS Remote Desktop, Zoom Cloud Meetings, Cisco WebEx, Google Workspace (formerly known as G Suite) and more.
Samsung DeX vs. screen mirroring
You may have seen other smartphones that offer screen mirroring, but screen mirroring functions quite differently from DeX. With typical screen mirroring, your smartphone’s screen is duplicated on another display — still retaining its original shape and layout. But with DeX, your second display offers a complete desktop-like experience while your smartphone continues to function independently. These dual screens allow you to use DeX for more than just sharing presentations or multimedia on a larger monitor. Instead, you can work just as freely as you would on a desktop PC.
With Samsung DeX, you can get work done at any desk — taking your most important work with you. And with new wireless options, DeX can take your daily productivity even further.
While working from home remains the norm, DeX can help your desk feel like a real office. Here are five more tips for making the most of the technology. And see how you can use your time more efficiently with Samsung’s other solutions for working remotely.