Galaxy XCover6 Pro is designed to offer frontline workers the best of both worlds: the power and versatility of a smartphone, plus durability and instant access to key features, just like the two-way radios and barcode scanners they’re often replacing.
In just a few clicks, users can easily customize the physical buttons on their Galaxy XCover6 Pro to quickly access their frequently used apps and utilities such as the camera or flashlight — even while wearing gloves or when their hands are wet.
Galaxy XCover6 Pro’s two programmable buttons — the top key and the side key — can each be set up to perform two different functions, making multiple apps accessible in a flash. That enables workers to quickly access the tools they need most, without having to pause to unlock their phones and navigate to an app. For example:
- By pushing the top key, a construction worker can initiate push-to-talk (PTT) communications with a colleague, then long-press to launch the flashlight to peer into a dark crawl space.
- A repair tech can collaborate with co-workers on the job site by pressing the top key to open Microsoft Teams for access to video calls, chat, shared documents, schedules and more.
- In just seconds, a retail associate can double press the side button to open a scanning app, scan a barcode on an item and then press and hold that same button to open the mobile point of sale (mPOS) app, process the transaction and send a satisfied customer on their way.
Programmable buttons add efficiency by making workers’ most-used apps incredibly easy to access. That’s why Samsung has incorporated programmable buttons across its rugged device portfolio, including Galaxy Tab Active4 Pro.
Workers in industries as varied as retail, public service, transportation, healthcare and manufacturing are finding that rugged smartphones and tablets are the key to unlocking newfound efficiency and better access to critical data.
Setting up Galaxy XCover6 Pro’s programmable buttons
It’s easy for any user to customize the external buttons on their Galaxy XCover Pro. Here’s how it’s done:
- Pull down the notification bar from the top of the screen and open Settings.
- Scroll down to “Advanced features.”
- Select the key you would like to program: the top key or the side key.
- Now you’ll see a list of apps you can activate with the key.
- Choose an action for that app — quick press or press and hold. Afterward, you can choose a second app for the other action.
- Repeat for the other button.
Now all the keys are customized and ready to go. And they can be changed at any time.
What's the best phone for your business?
Samsung Knox device management capabilities can enable more advanced remapping of Galaxy XCover6 Pro’s physical buttons. For example, if you want to enable a specific action within an app to take place when the button is long-pressed (instead of simply opening the app), Knox application programming interfaces (APIs) allow this customization to be implemented across an entire fleet of devices.
Boosting productivity and ease of use
Usability is essential in gaining adoption of new technology, and programmable buttons can help deliver the frictionless user experience that helps workers make the transition. Users accustomed to bulky two-way radios will appreciate the customizable PTT functionality of their smartphones or tablets, while also being able to access powerful apps that make their jobs flow smoothly with the simple press of a button.
Empower your field services team with mobility
The programmable buttons on Galaxy XCover6 Pro and Galaxy Tab Active4 Pro can be activated with gloves on, a bonus for workers operating in cold environments. Once they’ve launched an app, users can keep the gloves on or even handle their phone with wet hands as they navigate on-screen menus, thanks to enhanced touch sensitivity, another customizable setting.
Programming the physical buttons on Galaxy XCover6 Pro is a quick, easy way to help frontline workers access the critical tools they need, no matter where their jobs take them.
Not sure rugged is right for you? Explore how Samsung’s rugged devices can support your workers in nearly any environment. And find the right mobile devices for your business and employee needs in our free guide.